1busaqmeskmcpvh

Monument Valley sales stats

@ustwogame have been very transparent with the sales stats of their mobile game Monument Valley. Today they posted stats showing develop costs and revenue per platform. I found it quite interesting.

5CFSS66oC6
    I’m surprised by how much more the game sold on iOS than Android (~6x more). I guess the idea that "Android users don’t pay for apps" has some credence and it shows how pointless a lot of the market share arguments are.
    I expected more of the sales to be from the US, mainly due to it being the richest market and having a really high proportion of iPhones. China being the second biggest market is pretty interesting.

430QniSTfX
    Let me give you two alternative interpretations of the same statistics:

1. by the time the game was released on Android it had already lost its momentum.
    2. a lot of us use both Android and iOS. We bought the game on ipad and when it is released for android six months later we had no reason to buy it again specially when the ios version has more levels.

These are completely lost in the current statistics.

5ZfwIPfmv3
    Those explain the disparity in initial sales, but they don’t explain the long-running differences in the revenue over time chart (i.e. peaks in the chart from the iOS sales are significantly larger than peaks from the Android sales, iOS peak for the DLC release is significantly larger than the Android peak, Christmas peaks are significantly larger on iOS, and the long running sales rate in the absence of a special event is significantly higher on iOS).

3f5J7IkACk
    Note that the iOS DLC peak is much higher but when the Android DLC is finally released it matches the iOS tail for the same period…
    During and after xmas sales iOS was much higher, no point denying that. But this could be due to the Game Of The Year award they got from Apple or their participation in the Apple exclusive RED campaign (which was never released on Android).

Something to take into account: The majority of the iOS sales took place at launch and the Android version came out three months later, after some reviews had already been published and news had died down. Also, Apple had done a pretty good job advertising the game while Google barely did anything. Sales are definitely balanced in favor of iOS but it’s not a definitive apples-to-apples comparison.