How "hardcore" is Dark Souls II?

I've been really intrigued by Dark Souls 2 after hearing about it on The Besties' (Polygon) podcast tonight. However, after years of playing hardcore PC games, I've been kinda put off by them because when I get home from work to unwind, I just don't want to think too much, to be honest.
    Currently, I'm absolutely loving Dragon Age Inquisition because I can pop in and out of the game, do something for 15 minutes, and feel like I accomplished something.
    Is Dark Souls as unforgiving as people make it out to be? Is there math involved with having to calculate DPS? Do you have to invest some time into completing something awesome?

You can "mine" for souls, then come back another day to "kill" the one that killed you. But over time, your "skills" improve when you know your enemy weaknesses and you can dodge their moves. So it can be quite fun mining too.
    No real need to do any math except that you need x amount of souls to level up/upgrade weapon/armor and you probably need to read the wiki to see which skills to level up to so that the increment will not level off too much.
    Nevertheless, that "sense of achievement" of beating something you’ve tried for ages is pretty awesome.
    PvP can be quite annoying at times e.g. you’re on your way to kill a boss, and another player invades your world and you’ve gotta find him to kill or get killed. But once you get used to it, you just laugh it off. DS2 also has an area that "recruits" other players to join a covenant "Bell Keepers" and any time another player sets foot in this area, they get summoned into this player’s world to kill them/be killed.

so this PvP thing is just part of the game and not optional? that kinda sucks, no? i hated getting invaded in Clash of Clans (of all things, right?) which made me not care for the game anymore.

I think it’s a game you’ll either enjoy or hate – but you really can’t say after an hour of playing. It takes some time to understand what FromSoft are doing with their gameplay (live, die, repeat) and you’re encouraged to do so.
    The thing with Dark Souls is that the first game is by far much, much more engrossing than the second. The second is a great game, don’t get me wrong – but the first is absolutely incredible in the level, world and gameplay loop design.
    Watch some Twitch streams or YT videos for beginners. I got put off the first time around but I’ve sunk over 300 hours into DS1 on Xbox 360 and recently started a PC play.

The Souls series is very trial and error based, therefore it’s a game you can pick up and play since every area is a small challenge in itself. You might get stuck in an area from time to time, but you’ll get through eventually, and like a really good puzzle it will feel like a very rewarding experience.
    Only people I would say the Souls games are not for are people that quit easily or dislike repetition. As I enjoy puzzles and RPGs the Souls games are my absolute favorite games.