Thread: lol worlds 2014

lol worlds 2014

As a male in my mid-30s, gamergate wasn’t something that was really on my radar until the Intel sponsorship thing.
    I’d watched some of Anita Sarkeesian’s videos, and broadly agreed with her dissection of the industry. I’ve been reading Leigh Alexander’s column in Edge for years.
    Even as a guy who has played these games since the C64 era, I can’t say I feel threatened by any attempt to shift away from the prevailing norm in big budget titles. But then I can watch new movies without moaning that they’re not Star Wars, or listen to new records without worrying that the Clash sounded better.
    Gamergate seems to me to be just another symptom of the internet anonymity+rage syndrome: at best mis-placed web-activism, and at worst vindictive and criminal harassment. Games will change, and to oppose this progress as some kind of line-in-the-sand conservative last stand is just petty.
    I’d love to think that ignoring them would make them go away, but that’s clearly as easy for me to do as it is hard for the likes of Sarkeesian to live with. I don’t have any answers, but for an industry leader like Intel to pull its sponsorship under pressure from what amounts to a movement directed by a fringe group of bullies is all kinds of wrong.

I agree. As a white male in my 40’s who has played games for much of his adult life, I find nothing threatening about what Sarkeesian or Alexander have written and I think the crazed vendetta against them only proves their point about the culture of fear and intimidation men, especially young angry men prone to trolling, use to keep women in their place on the net. The fact that many on the side of gamer gate can;t see that they are engaging in the very kind of tactics these women speak about when they deny there is any problem or that these women somehow brought the abuse they have received on themselves is the ultimate irony. If they would shut up and actually listen without taking every criticism so personally they might begin to see it. But right now they are simply agents of the status quo desperately defending itself.
    I love to play games but frankly the behavior of most of those on the side of "gamergate" has made me ashamed to admit it to those around me. Its time to rise above this juvenile ranting and see the big picture. Its time to behave like sane adults who can hear a little criticism without grabbing the pitchforks.

TheVerge has a lot of "journalists" involved in this affair… STILL!
    Engadget, AOL CNet, … ++ All the Heroes of our Blog-Days…

They hardly wrote 1 word about this subject… and every time I post ANY post about this subject they DELETED it.
    Engadget it’s THE WORST – they hide all the inconvenient posts – and only show it to the original poster… other CAN’T even see it…
    TheVerge should clean their … house… and REALLY cover this subject… then clear much more – all those tainted-mods/editors are writing…

You realize:
    1) Less than 40% of journalists have journalism degrees
    2) 59 percent of print journalists who won Pulitzer Prizes never studied journalism;
    3) 75 percent of broadcast journalists who won DuPont Awards never studied journalism;
    4) 58 percent of journalists awarded Nieman Fellowships never studied journalism, and;
    5) 51 percent of journalists awarded Knight Fellowships at Stanford University never studied journalism.

In fact, Woodward and Bernstein, recognized as two of the top journalists of all time for cracking Watergate, only had one college degree between them and it wasn’t in journalism.
    It’s such a #gamergate sham to argue that journalists need journalism degrees. Not only is it untrue and unfair, but if you had a journalism degree wouldn’t you rather cover real stories than report the release date of Assassin’s Creed 14?

I created a post about a 3 weeks ago similar to this one and I received notice that while my post wasn’t disrespectful in any way it was removed for fear of the type of comments that COULD be made.
    I respectfully refuse to share my thoughts on The Verge. My voice is obviously worthless to The Verge anyway.
    I’ve been following the guys since they were at Engadget (even have T-shirts from going to the shows. It hurts to have your your mouth shut even when being respectful and simply asking folks what they think is going on.