Can someone unbiased explain GamerGate to me?

I just don't get it.
    Please don't turn this thread into a war zone. Y'all have tons of other places to do so.
    This is what I get.
    So some girl made a video criticizing misogyny in video games. Others made videos criticizing her methodology and motives. Some people turned to hate, making her the female equivalent of Phil Fish (?). One dude sent death threats to her. Then the media reported the backlash.

Did I get it right so far?
    There's allegations that it's an orchestrated backlash?
    There's allegations that the certain members of the media collaborated to create a unified narrative?
    Then there's the backlash to the backlash. Or is that the one that's orchestrated?
    Then there's gamers that don't like to be stereotyped and portrayed as the haters?
    Is "GamerGate" the whole story or is it just one part of it?

What wasn't orchestrated?
    I'm not looking for the tl;dr version. I'm looking for the straight juice - just the facts, no spin.
    The internet is filled with people spinning the story to fit their own agenda, whatever that may be. I don't know where to start reading.

BioWare Austin dev Damion Schubert has a pretty excellent series of blog posts on the whole thing. It’s less a chronology since he is arguing certain points, but they’re well written and well argued and provide a developer’s perspective.

Well it wasn’t just the girl with the videos, there was also a girl who people found out was sleeping with journalists that were covering her games, so people freaked out about nepotism. Reddit whitewashing thousands of comments from /r/gaming didn’t help, so a many felt there was a coordinated effort from a lot of people in high places on the internet to play down or silence the issue. Then of course a subset of people co-opted the hashtag to throw horrible insults at women and media members.
    Where it really went off the rails for me was when the gaming media started writing think-pieces about the hashtag basically declaring that the gamer was dead. The overarching conclusion appeared to be that because there’s a small group of people out there using the term gamer to describe themselves and being total assholes while doing it, the term "gamer" has been lost and we should just abandon it.

To me that doesn’t make a lot of sense. I consider myself a gamer and it pisses me off that now suddenly you’ve got journalists (cough T.C.) constantly tweeting making fun of gamers as if the label "gamer" solely represents that small minority who were being assholes. It isn’t easy for me psychologically to just abandon a term that I identify with just because some people on Twitter got mad at some other people on Twitter who happened to call themselves gamers. The suggestion by the gaming media that the "good gamers" should just move on and accept that the term "gamer" is going to be pejorative from now on makes me feel like they don’t give a shit about their audience.