Which is the best and free offline antivirus for a PC (Windows 8)?

Clarification time. No one actually knows which anti-virus is THE best. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Ratings, performance and security of the applications changed month to month, it would be hard to establish one. However, there are a couple of possibilities to explore.
    Currently, Windows natively has its own anti-virus Windows Defender, and it works relatively well (Not the best by any means, but well). The majority of the popular providers have free versions of their software to test out, and they also do the job.
    So, for anti-virus, I recommend Comodo, Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, Kaspersky or Norton. All of them proven formidable. But if you are worried about the performance of your PC, Windows Defender is your best option, since it doesn’t use that much additional resources, while third party anti-virus solutions might.
    With anti-virus, you usually will need to run anti-malware software. Not every single anti-virus has the full package included. Any of the popular software solutions will be solid as well. My recommendations towards ADWCleaner, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro.
    For in browser solution, you could use an Adblocker to protect you from malicious ads, uBlock takes this one for me.
    How to download and install? Just google the name of the software and it will direct you to developers website where you can find the instructions that you need!
    But when it comes to the internet, no software will protect you 100%. My tip would be to be aware of what you are browsing and downloading. Do not click suspicious links, avoid shady files. Additionally, be careful with emails, a lot of malware is spread through fake/malicious emails. That is the best way of being safe out there. Good luck!

Alfredpaw
    and for another security layer, there is MVPS Hosts file.

as to Defender "working relatively well..., but not the best", this is no longer the case, it's (amazingly) as good as any of the others, see https://www.av-comparatives.org/
    I ditched my expired NIS and have been on Defender for two weeks now, so far so good.

Alfredrok
    If you want an offline antivirus don't use it at all. ( Just my own humble opinion)

Antivirus is an outdated and useless product now a days.

Because viruses though prevalent are having very less market share in cyber attacks.

Use any of the USB autorun blockers, that should be good enough if you are looking for an offline solution.

If you want an offline antivirus don't use it at all. ( Just my own humble opinion)

Antivirus is an outdated and useless product now a days.

Because viruses though prevalent are having very less market share in cyber attacks.

Use any of the USB autorun blockers, that should be good enough if you are looking for an offline solution.