Alinacoise

Can clicking on a VirusTotal link to malware cause slowness or unresponsiveness?

Hi all!

About a month ago, I was reading a Malwarebytes-related topic in this forum, which contained a VirusTotal link to malware, and ever since clicking on that link out of curiosity (stupid, I know), the spinning dot while loading forum pages has been slow or unresponsive.

Oftentimes I have to click the cancel button to make the spinning dot stop, which may or may not load the page, and if the latter, I have to click reload as well, which is rather annoying.

I have scanned my system with all my anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-exploit/ransomware etc. tools, and even disk image restored my system with Acronis True Image 2017, but the issue persists.

As such, I am thinking of reinstalling Windows 10 in conjunction with the upcoming Fall Creators Update.

And hence, my question is as follows;

Can clicking on a VirusTotal link to malware cause slowness or unresponsiveness?

Thank you very much in advance!

Alinkaseu
    If you mean the link from Post #1...then no. Those pages are just reports/analysis of files submitted with results from the anti-virus vendors.

I click on those links all the time and never experienced anything as you describe.

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply!

Understood. Nice to know that the link is safe, so that is not the culprit.

I reread the pinned topic about slow computer/browser, and got some ideas.

Namely to check for Windows Updates, and found one that I immediately installed. Then I checked for a new UEFI version, and found one that I will download tomorrow, as I was interrupted by thunder and lightning, and had to turn off my computer for today.

I will also try to reset Firefox.

Will let you know how it goes.

AllastNique
    Yes it's best to wait until the thunder storm passes...lightning strikes can knock out a computer. Good luck.

AlizaCob
    Thanks.

I have now upgraded my UEFI, which went well. I have also reset Firefox, which went well too, which is quite a bit of work, given all the add-ons mentioned in my signature, as well as defining StartPage.com as start page and default search engine.

However, as for whether the issue has been successfully resolved, is necessarily somewhat blurred as links sometimes load fast, and other times slowly, and since I have been dealing with this issue for about a month, I really cannot be sure unless I reinstall my OS, but all in due time.

So for now, I think I am okay.

Thank you very much for the help!