Batman Arkham Asylum/Arkham City’s brawler combat mechanics, I still think this is the first game to get brawler combat right. The traditional weak attack, strong attack buttons with various combos based on them (that are mostly never used), just feels so horribly dated after playing these games.

Outstanding Gameplay Mechanics

Great gameplay mechanics can come from the worst games to the greatest. Some of the best gameplay mechanics show up in the most forgettable titles, not to be revived until years later in another developer's game. They can be in the form of great/unique controls, inventory/item management, or just how you interact with the game-world in general.
    Can you describe a gameplay mechanic that has stood-out to you? What about the game (good or bad) it came from?

The combat in Demon’s Souls. I want other devs to blatantly copy it. Because I want it in more games.
    The combat in Dragon’s Dogma is also amazing, although I really wish the climbing was slightly faster, and that it would also allow you to climb the environment and interact with it more. The movement in AC3 looks amazing for example, if Capcom could bring that in and combine it with the combat for the sequel to DD (and they fix the wonky camera when climbing things), it would be one of the most amazing experiences ever… drools
    Also, did you perhaps mean ‘Outstanding’?

Early on in the game, the character you control is unlucky enough to be fused with a dragon, giving him the ability to harness its power for a limited time…..a very limited time, in fact. You see, every several steps you take increases a percentage in the top corner of the screen. Using field abilities and transforming into a dragon increases the speed at which number increases drastically.
    When you hit 100%? Game over. But there’s a catch: you’re offerend the option to either go back to a previous save point (which are few and far between) or completely restart the game, but retain all skills, money, equipment, and party experience earned over the course of the game. That number looms overhead like a grim reaper, ominous and nerve-wracking. The game uses this as a way to force you to play smart, moving efficiently and using dragon skills for boss battles ONLY if you are in danger of not being able to complete it at your level.
    Capcom was rather embarrassed at the negative reception this game received in Japan. They should’ve stood by it; it’s one of the most brilliant games ever devised.