I'm not sure if this is the case for everyone, but it has been my experience that playing through certain games within a given genre has drastically aided in my overall ability to play through other games of that given genre. For example, while I was always good at platforming games, it was the challenge of playing through I Wanna Be The Guy that really took my ability to play though platforming games to the next level. I believe it was after this that I was able to do fairly consistent speed runs of Ninja Gaiden, and found that beating games like Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (and a number of other platforming games) was much easier to do. Similarly, it was Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike that taught me how to play fighting games crisply and with more precision. I certainly wasn't a tournament caliber player, but I was no longer just spamming hadoukens from a distance with Ken or Ryu and hoping to get lucky. I not only learned how to use all of the characters and their respective moves, but I was able to do so rather adeptly. I know this paid off when Street Fighter IV came out and I was able to win several online matches as a randomly selected Abel. And it wasn't just true for Street Fighter games. I noticed that I was drastically better at Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 as well.

Alfredbuh

Which game(s) made you better at a given genre?

I was about to mention the same thing. I feel like Halo is console shooter 101. I had played them before but I totally sucked. Yet something about Halo teaches you how to do it right, if that makes any sense. Learning how to use cover, ranges for weapons, when to throw grenades, stuff like that.

Alfredpaw
    Agreed. When it came out, it was one of the first real console LAN games, which was the seeming next step toward a PC-esque multi-player FPS experience. It was certainly a progression from the local play of the previous generation of console shooters. The first Halo in particular kept everything really simple and fundamental. The weapons were straight forward (e.g. sniper rifle for long range, shotgun for close range, machine gun and pistol for mid-range, etc.) and the vehicles were pretty basic. It was a seemingly ideal game to use as a sort of console shooter 101.