Alright folks what technology blind spots do you have? It's time to confess. I'll start.
    I don't know what Linux is. Never even seen it. What's it do? It's a operating system? Is it for PC's? Mac's? Can you play games on it? What's it used for? Why's it used? I don't get it.

Tech Confession Time

Linux confuses me. I’m not sure what the target audience is at all outside of the enterprise/business/enthusiast space. I get the feeling its mostly used because its open source and free, whereas innovation in my eyes depends on a financial investment of sorts. Money makes the tech world go round, so eventually does it trickle down to Linux? Again, I don’t know.

Linux is a lighter weight version of another operating system called Unix. Linux was started by Linus Torvalds, hence the name.
    Android is a lighter weight version of Linux.
    Linux and Unix are generally more stable than Windows. Enterprises will use Unix or Linux servers for stability purposes. Linux and Unix systems are also more powerful for database purposes. Using a Windows server for critical applications is a joke. Only small businesses should use a Windows server.
    On the desktop, enthusiasts will run Unix or Linux because they want a more powerful and more stable operating system than Windows. They will also have complete control over every option/setting in the system. Linux is more efficient than Windows.
    The downside to Linux is there is much less software support compared to windows and iOS. Especially when it comes to drivers. Gaming can be tough when using Linux. There aren’t tons of games written for it. And you have to make sure there are Linux drivers for all your hardware components (like videocards).

To add to Matt’s comment, Unix is not open source. Linux is open source, and the catalyst of the movement behind it.
    Unix was made to be a proprietary OS and sold just like OS X. They only wanted it working on certain machines and not widespread over various hardware. Linux had the opposite goal. They wanted it open, flexible, and wide spread over everything (in theory).

I summarize all the OS’s by openness. It isn’t good or bad, but a strategy and business model. There are strengths and weaknesses to all.
    Linux is totally open. OS X is totally closed. Windows is in the middle.
    Unix, well it is not a “normal” OS that would be widespread to the mass market, but it would be totally closed like OS X.