So I was wondering if video games have had a major impact in your lives ?
    For me 2 thing always stand out when I think about how video games have impacted my life for the better.
    The first and most major one would be it put me in my career in IT. Up until about 5 years ago I had never owned or used computer more then i had to, sure I had one as a kid but got in trouble with it soon after we got it so I just stayed away from it.

Have video games impacted your life

Soon after getting my first PC I fell in love with a F2P MMO(mid 2008) that was not what you would call well supported for technical issues. After a year or so I found myself on the forum and SB more then in game due to a new job. I have an issue with not letting questions go unanswered and soon found myself helping people with all kinds of issues that I had no clue how to resolve but figured I could find the answer somewhere which I usually did. Soon there was no more looking as I had the answers now. This experience drove me to find out as much as I could about computers and tech and was a major shift in what I did with my free time.

Share on Facebook Tweet Share Pin
    For me 2 thing always stand out when I think about how video games have impacted my life for the better.
    The first and most major one would be it put me in my career in IT. Up until about 5 years ago I had never owned or used computer more then i had to, sure I had one as a kid but got in trouble with it soon after we got it so I just stayed away from it.
    Soon after getting my first PC I fell in love with a F2P MMO(mid 2008) that was not what you would call well supported for technical issues. After a year or so I found myself on the forum and SB more then in game due to a new job. I have an issue with not letting questions go unanswered and soon found myself helping people with all kinds of issues that I had no clue how to resolve but figured I could find the answer somewhere which I usually did. Soon there was no more looking as I had the answers now. This experience drove me to find out as much as I could about computers and tech and was a major shift in what I did with my free time.
    I have been doing IT now for 2 solid years with no "official" training I don't how exactly I got here but I know I owe it to that game- Twelve Sky.
    The 2nd thing I believe video games have provided me with is an extended vocabulary, just from all the text that would be in the games. This is one of the reason why I play every game with subtitles on.
    Anyone else think games has changed their live for the better, maybe for the worse? Share on Facebook Tweet Share Pin
    I have been doing IT now for 2 solid years with no "official" training I don't how exactly I got here but I know I owe it to that game- Twelve Sky.
    The 2nd thing I believe video games have provided me with is an extended vocabulary, just from all the text that would be in the games. This is one of the reason why I play every game with subtitles on.
    Anyone else think games has changed their live for the better, maybe for the worse?

Well its all in how you look at it. The game I mention that got me into my current career also caused me to stop going to another job which almost got me fired and in the end I ended up just quitting the job with no other job to go to which was something i have never done.

Yeah, in lots of ways, the Zelda and Pokemon games provided an escape when my parents were going through a terrible divorce, speaking of Pokemon, it’s what taught me how to be more social. I mean, games have led me to meet my favorite people in life, and when I get depressed they provide a way to escape. They’ve most definitely impacted my life.

I’m sure it has. I would probably be a lot more productive today if it weren’t for videogames.
    No wait, there’s still the internet… hmm. Well, I would be more productive when my internet is down at least.
    Whether or not I see any real benefit from it will only be known if I ever succeed in my dream to fund an indie studio I guess.

I had pretty much given up gaming after college. I was still playing on the N64 and had no plans to pick up the new consoles (PS2/GC/Xbox). I was on my 3rd or 4th date with a girl, and she came over to my apartment and noticed my N64 with Ocarina of Time in it. She mentioned that she’d seen hall-mates in college play it and it looked pretty interesting. So we fired it up and I started a new game, even though I was about 2/3 of the way through it already. We ended up playing through the whole thing together.
    Long story short, within a year and a half she was my wife, we had an Xbox, a PS2 and 2 Gamecubes (I had to by a 2nd so I’d have something to play while she obsessed over Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing). 10 years later and we’re both still big gamers. We’ve got our bedroom set up with 2 rotating recliners, so we can watch something on TV or set up a second TV and both play at the same time. Some co-op (Borderlands, RE5), but mostly just each of us playing separate games but sharing the experience.
    So, yeah, I’d say gaming has had an impact on my life.