In Guild Wars 2, when you discover a Renown Heart region, that heart is displayed as empty, and you are given a set of criteria to fill that heart. Often times, these include killing off a threat (eg. centaurs, rebels, bandits, etc.), collecting key items, cleaning up the vicinity, ressurecting dead NPCs, and other simple tasks. You could probably see it as a mega-quest, to put it in simpler terms. However, you don't have to do ALL those set duties. In fact, you might be the killing type and just choose to slaughter a crap ton of centaurs and get it over with; or if you just like collecting stuff, you could just go around to just collect items and turn it in to progress. I suppose there is always more than one way to impress someone, which might be a good thing.

Alfredbuh

Guild Wars 2-- Who played it last weekend?

Another thing about progressing through the heart system is that you're not given an arbitrary number to meet. For example, in a traditional MMO quest, you may be asked to kill 10 centaurs or gather 15 battle plans. In GW2, you're not given the amount of centaurs you have to kill or battle plans that may be collect. Instead, you kill or collect until the locals around you think that you're really amazing at what you do.

AlfredFerce
    The Dynamic Events (or DE for short) works just about the same way where there are more graphical meters and percentages than there are arbitrary numbers. The major difference is that DEs just simply happen, most of the time just out of the blue. What are Dynamic Events? Dynamic events are events that occur in a persistent area as a result of players interacting with and exploring the world. There are a variety of examples of DEs, such as defending an NPC or region from waves of monsters, gathering specific items, invading a region full of monsters, and even killing a really big monster (which actually drops level-relevant loot, which I'll get into a bit)! Most of the DEs branch out to different situations depending on the outcome. For example, if you fail to protect the the water pumps in the human starting zone, you may be tasked to clean up the mess and then assist the NPCs in repairing the pumps.

Alfredpaw
    Overall, I have enjoyed the radically different questing system, which actually does make sense with all the crazy dynamics going on. Obviously some of the remnants of the traditional system is still there, such as the primary story quest, but the objectives aren't too specific or technical unless it has to be. For instance, instead of being tasked to killing 10 bandits in an inn, the quest objective states "eliminate the threat in the inn". It feels more like a mission of thrill and uncertainty to do something, than just some menial quest. For the most part, I felt that questing in this game actually makes sense for once, with certain consequences that may occur if you don't put in your part. There were also a few parts in the system that still felt archaic (the 'arbitrary numbers' that may have slipped in, which I'll get into detail in a follow-up) but almost the entirety of the system felt different and interesting.

In Guild Wars 2, I don't have to worry about monsters being "tagged" by someone else because if I start whacking my sword on a monster that's currently attacking someone else, at least I'll still get credit. This is especially true for group DEs that generally require more than just a 5-man party to take down. Honestly, I never found any sense in having a mob being "tagged" so that only that engaging party could gain credit. It was one of the most annoying things that bothered me when questing in most MMOs, especially when I'm given a quest to kill a named creature.

Can you believe that it took 30~40 people to take down that giant elemental? Even though there are only two people in my party (my brother and I), all the 30-something participants of that event will get credit for it when it finally dies. Also note I was downleveled to 16 from 29, which I'll talk about in a bit. You couldn't just zerg the boss and win-- you actually had to pay attention to fire circles, adds, and ... well ... more fire and not die. It's amazing that content this early teaches you to pay attention to your surrounds, and don't expect any simple tank-n-spanks along the way.
    But the point was that I finally feel like I'm participating in a rather rewarding experience. There was no competition to see who would get the "first hit" and everyone was helping everyone. Some people helped take down the adds, some stayed in the back to resurrect the dead, while some put in their efforts to widdle down the boss' health until it died. If battles in starting zone content were this epic, then I'd imagine that battles in higher level zones would reach legendary status!