We are in a post-PC world

People argue about 'are we in a post-PC world?'. Why are we arguing? Of course we are in a post-PC world," said Ray Ozzie, the man who succeeded Bill Gates as Microsoft Corp's tech visionary"

"Windows 8 may help Microsoft bridge the gap to the post-PC world, but the 'doom and gloom' scenario for the company is people switching to portable, non-Windows devices," said Ozzie.

"It's a world of phones and pads and devices of all kinds, and our interests in general purpose computing -- or desktop computing -- starts to wane and people start doing the same things and more in other scenarios."

There are many arguments against this statement;

The absurd growth per year of tablets is largely associated to them still being a relatively new product on the market, which also means advances in its technology is much quicker and in bigger leaps with each advancement than established products, such as PC's.

There is also the substantial difference in price which means there is ultimately a much larger target audience for tablets.

Both of these also contribute to there being a much bigger incentive to current owners to upgrade lo latest releases; it is much more viable to upgrade a tablet due to less cost and many improvements over earlier releases. Whereas PC's have a very substantial upgrade cost and usually not many good reasons to do so.

Plus, do these figures incorporate PC parts? You can obviously upgrade a PC without purchasing an entire new PC, whereas you cannot with the other two.

I would be very surprised if the people purchasing tablets/smart phones are no longer using their PC's either. The products as a whole are just too different to justify his statement.

I think what he is truely meaning is that it is in Microsoft's best interests financially to focus on 'the world of phones and pads'.

We are not in a post-PC world in terms of PC use I believe.

I tend to agree. I also think there is a concentrated effort by the marketing geniuses of mobile devices to manipulate users thinking in this direction

I remember when vacum cleaners were supposed to make a dustpan and brush redundant, yet we still have ours. There's also an advantage with this "outdated" technology in that when you drop your shiny new i-whatsit on the floor and it smashes into a zillion pieces, you cannot suck it up with a vacum cleaner, yet a dustpan and brush will do just fine __________________
    Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.

Of course I don't think the PC market will die overnight. It might take some years to reduce its significance. We have seen notebooks eat into the desktop PC market, and now we see 'tablets and smartphones' start eating into the notebook market.

From the same source, Ozzie says, "That doesn't mean the PC dies, that just means that the scenarios that we use them in, we stop referring to them as PCs, we refer to them as other things."

Imagine a few years back, when we need to check emails or browse a webpage, the only place is a desktop PC or notebook, now we have alternate computing devices like tablets and smartphones.

No one mentioned Ultrabooks which I fell are the perfect cross between tablets and laptops. Too bad they're so expensive at this time. But that will change as the 2nd generation will be released this summer.

I'm the type of guy that wants his cell phone to be just that, a cell phone and nothing else. But give me an icore 5 and 6 gigs of ram in a solid, mobile platform at an affordable price for my real computing needs over a smartphone any day.

At the end of the day people will still want a standard sized keyboard and a monitor to get work done with. I don't own a smart phone any more but when I did I uploaded my file to my PC which I then used for editing, emailing and Printing the documents. I can see how a Tablet would be nice to have while on the road but I can see a notebook doing that job just as well or better.