Andromeda OS: The hybrid OS from Google

Most certainly.
    The point I was really trying to make was that Windows PC's could still be selling in the same numbers as they always have (I don't know this to be fact), it may be just that the volume of the alternatives has gone up dramatically, making it look like PC's are being abandoned when that may not be the case.

Yep, the Ubuntu phones do look interesting too!

Tablet PC shipments are expected to reach more than 240 million units worldwide in 2013, easily exceeding the 207 million notebook PCs that are projected to ship."

...and a new class of small tablets with 7-8" screen sizes will take over the market.

I agree entirely with Dedoimedo. All this talk of PC dying because of smartphones, and tablets, is just a media hype. Dedoimedo gave a very good example of laptops and desktops. Like they both exist, and continue to, these technologies too, will all continue existing together. Although, there may be some effects too. Like, with the coming of tablets, people will indeed buy less of netbooks, because tablets achieve the same purpose, and are cheaper, and also handy.

Smartphones and tablets sales are also on the rise because they are affordable, and handy than laptops, or desktops. Many people won't have the need of laptops, or desktops, and so tablets are a great option for them. Earlier, such a mid-range option was not present for those who could not afford laptop, or desktops, just for simple requirements. Like my mom... she does not have much, or rather any knowledge of computers. Would have liked to have a laptop for her, but that would have been a bit costlier, and also would involve a high learning curve. But, with a tablet, which is handy, easy to operate, and has access to internet, she is quite happy with it.

But, of course, for people who have more heavier work on computers, will go for a laptop, or a desktop as per their preference, ease of use, and requirement.

Unfortunately folks not only believe what they are fed by the media, but actively feel a need to. In the past for instance, someone might have been regarded as a "jerk" but those tormenting them in this fashion would be relatively few and mainly at school. Now, the fact that Jodie is "strange" gets "shared" with millions on Facebook so the effect is disproportionate to the cause (even if it exists). Here's an even worse example highlighted by the comment:

"I didn't know him, but he was a planker like the rest of us."

From gangs to fad diets, folks have an overwhelming desire to identify with and belong to. The gadget marketeers work this system well to ensure everything new is also desirable irrespective of whether what it achieves is any better than existing technology. Tablets and smart phones certainly have significant advantages over desktop PC's and even laptops, but IMO the only reason sales are so high is because of the marketing spend. I already know several tablet owners here who carted these things around like teddy bears when they were first purchased. Now they sit semi abandoned waiting for some love..... next to their PC!

My estimate is that a significant proportion of tablets will be destined for the same fate as Bullworkers and exercise cycles. __________________

Love it!

"When the laptop appeared on the market, dipxxxxs like the people hailing smartphones and tablets as the next cure for cancer probably claimed that the laptop would KILL the desktop. Fast forward twenty years, did this happen? No".
    Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.

Interesting reading indeed.

Does one kill the others? Nope, neither do I think so, but one has more friends that surround him/her and those friends have never existed before. This perspective is just like the trucks and the cars that Jobs predicted.