Registry policy setting - can't open old word versions

I want to open old MSW documents, but I get a message saying "a Microsoft Office document and the file type for that document has been blocked by a registry policy setting". They give a link to learn how to bypass this security setting, but it doesn't apply to windows 7. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Mind giving us the link?

What version of Office are you using?

Is this a work computer? Is your computer joined to a domain?

If you only want to read the docs, you could send it to doPDF (works like a printer, but converts to .pdf).

анал харьков
    for earlier versions of Windows there seems to be a way of creating trusted locations, in which I could open my files. But the directions for creating them doesn't seem to work in Windows 7, or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it.

To disable this restriction in Word 2007, change the value of the FileOpenBlock subkey. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Exit Word.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Offi ce\12.0\Word\Security\FileOpenBlock

If the FileOpenBlock subkey does not exist, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Select the Security subkey. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
    2. Type FileOpenBlock, and then press ENTER.

After you select the subkey that is specified in step 3, locate the DWORD value.