Thinking about the future of Chromebooks...

With Chrome OS specific apps, Chrome OS is becoming a more likely alternative to MS and Apple. What type of machine do you all desire with the new Chrome OS?
    To answer my own question - A Tegra 4 powered, 14.5 in machine aesthetically similar to the new Sony Flip in silver. Just remove the Flip screen. No need. Maybe make it a bit more thin...

Would never use a Chromebook. The Chrome OS is spyware for Google. Do I want the Chromebook phoning home, letting Google know every web page I visit and the content of every email I send? No thanks. Google is in the business of SELLING ADVERTISING. They are a tech company only to the extent that it allows them to dupe users into installing spyware disguised as a web browser or a phone OS so that the can data mine.

DanielSoype
    For the most part, that is unavoidable if you use the web. There is no alternative. At the very least, the NSAknows every movement you make. At least Google lets you know upfront you are being surveilled and gives you a record. Plus, you can take all your data a leave Google at any time. After that, 6mo later its all completely gone from Google servers (if they are trust-able).

I don’t understand the idea that the addition of Chrome OS apps (using Chrome OS / Browser exclusive extensions and code no less) implies that the platform will grow any larger.

The single benefit of this is that the code is completely portable and transparent – the UI and the hardware handling will be managed entirely through the Chrome Browser on other platforms, and natively on Chrome OS.
    The problem here, however, is that Java, HTML5 + JavaScript and pretty much all web technologies are still, and will likely always be, extremely slow – especially in comparison to native applications. Include the overhead of having to run an application as a form of Hardware Abstraction layer (on top of another OS no doubt) and the issue is merely compounded.

We’ve seen that cross platform capabilities have been less than stellar with modern usage of Java, web applications, and a plethora of frameworks (Qt, WxWidgets, etc.) – the improvements will be no greater in Google’s solution, yet the problems will be even more pronounced.

The two things that appeal to me are: 1.) deep cloud integration, and 2.) web browser as OS. These are pretty much all I use beside a Word. Google Docs is catching up, but it needs citation format other than footnotes. Built in support for a works cited page, database, and multiple citation styles would help. Point being, for a lot of people, especially those who do a lot of researching and use Google services a lot – this make a lot of sense. I just wish they had something that reflected that much use. All day battery life like the MBA and a decent size screen would be a starting point.