TIMN: The best portable game console you can buy

Now that we've heard Chris' opinion, I'd like to hear what the Verge community thinks:

1. What is the best portable game console you can buy right now and why (ex. Vita, 3DS, Shield, etc)
    2. What is the best portable game console you have ever owned and why (ex. GameGear, Gameboy Advance, PSP, etc)

1. Nintendo 3DS – It has the best games of any portable console right now. There’s very little out there than can really compete with Fire Emblem: Awakening, Legend of Zelda: ALBW, Super Mario 3D Land, Bravely Default, Pokemon XY and ORAS, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros, SMT IV, and Monster Hunter 3 and 4.

1. Playstation Portable – I was running custom firmware on my PSP so I had access to an incredibly wide range of software: normal PSP games, NES/SNES games, Genesis games, GBA games, PS1 games, and homebrew games (like this MUGEN-like Smash bros clone). The only other platform that had access to a larger catalogue of games was the PC.

I have extremely fond memories of staying up all night to create characters for Smash GP on the massive gaming laptop I had in Highschool (I made a Kirby character that became extremely popular in a few PSPforums back in the day). It’s a shame that I’m getting too old and too busy to really have that type of gaming experience anymore.

I really love my Vita. We’re a small but loyal clan of users, and I feel like most people who give it a shot are similarly delighted with it. There’s a wide variety of quick play games as well as deeper experiences. It’s obviously most useful if you’re already in the Sony ecosystem — a PS Plus subscription really ends up paying for itself with all the free games.

I also love playing on my iPad, and in fact I don’t really like to play games on my iPhone as much anymore — screen just feels too small most of the time.
    That said, I’d love to get my mitts on a 3DS. I’ve always been a big Nintendo fan and there are a strong handful of exclusives that I really want to try now.
    Best portable console I ever had was probably my original Game Boy, just because I had it at the age when I had the time to play the damn thing non-stop. That, my DS Lite, and my Vita are my favs.