Sony Alpha a7, good buy?

Are you look at the A7, S or R? How important is video to you? What about resolution? What do you like the shoot and plan to shoot? One question to ask, do I really need full frame, or can I do fine with aps-c camera. If so, I’d also look at the Sony A6300, which is really fast camera, with very good high iso(for it’s class) and it’s smaller and lighter than the A7. Plus, I think lenses maybe a bit more affordable, though you may have less wide angle options than FF E mount cameras.
    Another option is Fuji X-T20 with the 18-55mm f2.8-4 lens. It’s a great lens, great camera, and colors(subjective) are just really nice.

I’m looking at the regular a7, the other too are quite the price hike.
    I like to shoot people, buildings, street photography basically. Occasionally I try my hand at long exposure, light painting, timelapses. I also want to try a few things that my RX100 can’t do like lens-tilt, macro and eventually I’m looking at more specific lenses like super wide or telephoto (I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it, but I still want to be on the right path).
    I shoot quite a bit in the evening, low-light so I think I’d prefer full frame. And size isn’t so much of a concern, I can still use my RX100 if I’m limited in that regard.
    Video I’m not really very interested in, I might use it occasionally but I wouldn’t base my decision around it.

If I go for a Fuji, are their lenses compatible with other brands?

Fuji lenses only work with Fuji cameras, just like Sony E mount lenses work with Sony E mount cameras.
    Yeah if video isn’t important the A7 should be what you are looking for, unless you really need the more MP of the R or better low light of the S. I think the only downside to the first gen A7 lineup is AF, which for moving subjects may not be the best. I’d again also take a look at the a6300 cause that’s a way faster camera and may find that better suite your needs at a lower price, which allows you to get at least a second lens.

I’ve been in this situation 2 years ago (I’m a complete amateur although I don’t mind putting in the money) and if I could go back in time or if I had to advise anyone facing this question: yes, everybody needs full-frame. The only situation I can think of where crop sensor would be a better choice is in wild-life for the extra reach enabled by the crop sensor.
    My reasoning behind this is that full-frame sensors are vastly superior in many situations and carry a price premium and additional bulk that can be made reasonable (ie 6D, D610, and to some extent A7, especially used). I just think that it’s an investment worth considering, especially with the cheaper options out there, regardless of skill level. The pictures they output, especially in low light (a situation everybody is familiar with) warrant the extra 500/700-ish dollars.
    I own a 6D myself and I wouldn’t have it any other way… Maybe perhaps a mirrorless, in a future step but not because it’s more compact, just because Sony pumps out some mighty bodies. All my lenses render that size argument moot…
    And if I may, the a6300, although a respectable performer, tends to overheat massively. Something to look out for…

This is a pretty common perspective, and controversial, but I’ll go ahead and disagree: you do not need full frame. For most people, especially amateurs but including professionals, APS-C and even Micro 4/3rds are more than enough. Unless you intend to shoot above ISO 6400, need depth of field so thin only an eyelash is in focus, or will be shooting serious landscapes requiring tons of dynamic range and super wide angles, you do not need full frame. There are lots of photographers on this forum using something as small as M43 and pulling off excellent landscapes, portraits, etc. The advantages of full frame are specific, and for most people unimportant.
    Especially if you’re coming from RX100, the size of full frame will be cumbersome. FF cameras typically aren’t as practical for taking out on hikes, on vacations, etc.
    That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get FF if you like a body and think it will be useful. But very few need it.