In your opinion, what Castlevania game is the best for a newcomer?

I ask this because I want to at least try and get into one or two games in the series. I've never really given Castlevania a proper chance.
    I tried playing the original on the NES and I just couldn't get into it. I've heard the GBA/DS titles are great? I just need some second opinions.
    P.S. I am interested in playing Symphony of the Night. Do you recommend playing that on the PSP or the original PS1?

I can't speak for GBA titles, but the DS games are great! I bought a DS just for them, and no regrets. I haven't gone back to NES Castlevanias, but I have played them before and enjoyed them. As for Symphony of the Night, go for whichever platform you enjoy the most. There are a few changes in the PSP version, I believe it was just voice actors and dialogue. It's been awhile since I played the PSP version. I only got it for traveling purposes. I play it on PS3 (PS1 disc) to enjoy it on the big screen. Symphony of the Night is probably the best game for a newcomer. It's not hard and it's awesome.

Symphony of the Night is the one to try first, unlike previous games in the series it's the title that coined MetroidVania as a genre. On which platform? is dependent on what you own. The 360 got a pretty good version, likewise with PlayStation Classic download.The original CastleVania hasn't held up very well true, and it's why many will tell you to try Super CastleVania IV; as it's a remake of the original game. If you have a 3DS, Wii, or Wii U it's in Virtual Console_ for Wii/ I would also look into Rondo of Blood. Which is the prequel to Symphony of the Night. And a great CastleVania in its own right. Both of these like SotN are heavily considered the best CastleVania games, each one just has different things to appreciate.
    I really like the DS CastleVania trilogy, yet they build on what SotN set out. If you like SotN? only then would I recommend checking out the DS games.
    For GBA it would be tricky to hunt down but Aria of Sorrow is the one I read that many like. It's also prequel to Dawn of Sorrow for DS. I never played Aria because I never found a copy of the game personally.

1. Super Castlevania IV (Virtual Console)
    2. Castlevania Chronicles (PSN)
    3. Castlevania Rondo of Blood (Virtual Console)
    4. Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSN)

Unfortunately, these are the most accessible games right now, because I would recommend the Japanese version of Castlevania III and the Bloodlines on the Genesis.

Symphony of the Night would be a good starting point.

Well, the first thing that you need to decide is which type of Castlevania game do you think that you would enjoy more. There is the classic style Castlevania games which are linear action platformers and offer a better challenge. Then there is the Metroidvania style Castlevania games that play more like a Metroid game with more exploration and backtracking and these games are generally not as challenging as the classic style Castlevania games.
    Personally, I don't really like the Metroidvania style; I'm a fan of the classic style Castlevania games, but each style has their own fans. If you are going to try two games in the series, you might want to try one of each style to see which style you like more. The best of the Metroidvania style games is generally considered to be Symphony of the Night and the best of the classic style Castlevania games is generally considered to be Rondo of Blood.