Does using a VPN improves the internet performance during high traffic situations

I have a scanario, I am trying to access an web application which is facing very high traffic at a particular time.
    The web application is hosted very far from me, that is I am accessing from India and the application is hosted in Australia.
    In this case, whether using a VPN server closer to Australia and then trying to access the application improves the performance(ie higher chances of getting the application)?

i wouldnt imagine so, you still have the same slow link in the chain of local link to the VPN, your just moving the goalposts.

Unless the apps website has capped traffic outside of Australia, it won't make a difference. It's more likely that the website you are trying to download from is experiencing high traffic demand.

It depends where the bottleneck is occurring. If the web application host server in Australia is overloaded, then whether you use a VPN or not...your connection will remain slow.