Hybrid View

Resetting Windows 10 laptop to default and then swapping to SSD

If we're going to do this, I thought this would be a good time to swap out the HDD with an SSD.
    Here are the steps I came up with:

• Use the Windows option to reset the OS to default, wiping out all data and apps and programs. I assume this will set it back to Win10 and not Win8. This is still running from the HDD.
    • I bought a Samsung EVO 850 SSD. Clone the OS from HDD to SSD using Samsung Data Migration software.
    • Swap out HDD and install SSD to the laptop.

My wife has Sony Vaio laptop that originally came with Windows 8 and has been upgraded to Windows 10. She works remotely from home and her company IT guy mistakenly installed company firewall and antivirus software on her personal laptop because she had not been issued a company laptop yet. She finally got him to uninstall them, but now it's acting flakey. The Windows mail app and others won't open now. She wants to just wipe it and start over.

What do you guys think about this? Is there a better way? Is there a way to install Win10 directly in the new SSD so I don't have to clone? Is that going to give me a cleaner starting point or is the Reset going to wipe out all the garbage from before so that I'm not copying it to the new drive when I clone?

I said I had a plan. I didn’t say it was a good plan.
    I just wasn’t sure if I could install Win 10 clean since I did an upgrade on the laptop and didn’t know if I could use the original key, etc, etc.

Sounds fine but I’ve not used Samsung’s ghosting software so I can’t say that it would work, however you would think that they’ve supplied it for exactly this kind of scenario.
    Fear not. If it doesn’t work you can always try plan B:
    Create a Win10 install USB/DVD from the ISO